Thursday, November 29, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
Saturday, November 17, 2012
How to Learn Faster, Deeper, and Better
For Teachers, Tutors, and Parents
1. Be engaged. Surprise. Sometimes students are bored because they know more than is being taught, maybe even more than a teacher. (Hopefully teachers will assess what each student already knows.) Students should discuss with a teacher if they feel that the material being covered is not challenging. Also consider asking for additional materials.
2. Teach yourself. Teachers cannot always change their curricula. If you're not being challenged, challenge yourself. Some countries still apply country-wide exams for all students. If your lecturer didn't cover a topic, you should learn it on your own. Don't wait for someone to teach you. Lectures are most effective when you've pre-introduced yourself to concepts.
3. Collaborate. If studying by yourself isn't working, maybe a study group will help.
4. Do unto others: teach something. The best way to learn something better is to teach it to someone else. It forces you to learn, if you are motivated enough to share your knowledge.
5. Write about it. An effective way to "teach" something is to create an FAQ or a wiki containing everything you know about a topic. Or blog about the topic. Doing so helps you to realize what you know and more importantly what you don't. You don't even have to spend money if you grab a freebie account with Typepad, Wordpress, or Blogger.
6. Learn by experience. Pretty obvious, right? It means put in the necessary time. An expert is often defined as someone who has put in 10,000 hours into some experience or endeavor. That's approximately 5 years of 40 hours per week, every week. Are you an expert without realizing it? If you're not, do you have the dedication to be an expert?
7. Quiz yourself. Testing what you've learned will reinforce the information. Flash cards are one of the best ways, and are not just for kids.
8. Learn the right things first. Learn the basics. Case in point: a frustrating way to learn a new language is to learn grammar and spelling and sentence constructs first. This is not the way a baby learns a language, and there's no reason why an adult or young adult has to start differently, despite "expert" opinion. Try for yourself and see the difference.
9. Plan your learning. If you have a long-term plan to learn something, then to quote Led Zeppelin, "There are two paths you can go by." You can take a haphazard approach to learning, or you can put in a bit of planning and find an optimum path. Plan your time and balance your learning and living.
1. Give yourself credit. Ideas are actually a dime a dozen. If you learn to focus your mind on what results you want to achieve, you'll recognize the good ideas. Your mind will become a filter for them, which will motivate you to learn more.
2. Motivate yourself. Why do you want to learn something? What do want to achieve through learning? If you don't know why you want to learn, then distractions will be far more enticing.
3. Set a goal. W. Clement Stone once said "Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve." It's an amazing phenomenon in goal achievement. Prepare yourself by whatever means necessary, and hurdles will seem surmountable. Anyone who has experienced this phenomenon understands its validity.
4. Think positive. There's no point in setting learning goals for yourself if you don't have any faith in your ability to learn.
5. Organize, part 2. Learning is only one facet of the average adult's daily life. You need to organize your time and tasks else you might find it difficult to fit time in for learning. Try Neptune for a browser-based application for "getting things done."
6. Every skill is learned. With the exception of bodily functions, every skill in life is learned. Generally speaking, if one person can learn something, so can you. It may take you more effort, but if you've set a believable goal, it's likely an achievable goal.
7. Prepare yourself for learning. Thinking positive isn't sufficient for successfully achieving goals. This is especially important if you are an adult, as you'll probably have many distractions surrounding your daily life. Implement ways to reduce distractions, at least for a few hours at a time, else learning will become a frustrating experience.
8. Prepare yourself, part 2. Human nature is such that not everyone in your life will be a well-wisher in your self-improvement and learning plans. They may intentionally or subconsciously distract you from your goal. If you have classes to attend after work, make sure that work colleagues know this, that you are unable to work late. Diplomacy works best if you think your boss is intentionally giving you work on the days he/she knows you have to leave. Reschedule lectures to a later time slot if possible/ necessary.
9. Constrain yourself. Most people need structure in their lives. Freedom is sometimes a scary thing. It's like chaos. But even chaos has order within. By constraining yourself — say giving yourself deadlines, limiting your time on an idea in some manner, or limiting the tools you are working with — you can often accomplish more in less time.Source of articles: Online Education Database
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Teknik untuk belajar matematik ialah :- i) kalau hendak pandai matematik, kena suka matapelajaran ini. Caranya ialah ,berlakon yang kita sukakan subjek ini. Kemudian, mula buat latihan sedikit demi sedikit. Tidak perlu terus mula dengan 50 soalan. Takut terkejut dan seterusnya bencikan matematik.
ii) matematik adalah latihan dan latihan adalah matematik. Matematik adalah satu subjek yang perlu buat latihan untuk menguasainya,dan bukan membaca. (Ada pelajar yang belajar matematik dengan hanya membacanya). Semakin banyak latihan yang dibuat, semakin cekap dalam matematik.
iii) matematik adalah matapelajaran yang memerlukan disiplin. Walaupun anda faham topik tertentu, anda tidak akan dapat menjawab dalam masa yang diberikan jika anda tidak mendisiplinkan diri untuk menjawab soalan matematik. Setiap kali anda berlatih menjawab soalan matematik, catat masa yang anda ambil. Selalunya anda ada masa kurang daripada 3 minit untuk menjawab satu soalan. Jadi, cuba kejar masa itu, cuba latih menjawab dengan secepat mungkin.
iv) anda perlu HAFAL SIFIR! Ramai pelajar yang merungut tentang perkara ini. Persoalannya ialah, hafal sifir bukan sahaja untuk mengetahui berapa 5 x 5 dan berapa 12 x 7. Tetapi, menghafal sifir akan membuat otak anda lebih cepat dan cekap mengira. Kalau asyik bergantung kepada mesin kira, daya pemikiran anda akan semakin lemah kerana tidak ada usaha yang dilakukan oleh otak anda. Lihat mereka yang handal matematik, pasti mereka cekap juga dalam sifir.
Akhir sekali, anda perlu ada azam dan kemahuan untuk jadi hebat dalam subjek matematik. Jika anda kisah tidak kisah, sukar untuk anda kuasai subjek ini. Diharap petua-petua ini dapat dikongsi semua untuk menguasai matapelajaran matematik .
Petikan : Osman Affan （2006）
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Friday, November 2, 2012